Saturday, May 22, 2010

An Indian Outlaw Came to My Door

Like many professional entertainers in Nashville, I had my share of part-time jobs until Elvis came along and I could work full time at a career I loved.

One of my many jobs involved being a doorman at the beautiful Opryland Hotel. It was there that I met lots of celebrities. Most were incredibly nice and only a couple were divas, thank goodness. I hate it when my bubble is burst by a famous person I admire acting like they are high falutin'. Only Jesus had that right and he didn't take it.

Anyway, as I was standing my post at the Magnolia Lobby up comes a very young Tim McGraw. This was Tim before Faith Hill, before 21 #1 hit songs, before 40+ awards, and before he became a big screen movie star.

The Tim I met was humble and a bit shy. He wasn't the confident country heart throb he is today. He had just released "Indian Outlaw" written by my buddy Tommy Barnes. It is still one of my favorite songs because of its great music and lyrics, especially the part about "In nothin' but my buffalo briefs, I got 'em standin' in line." Love that!

I told Tim I knew that song was going to be a big hit, and that I sing it all the time.  He just smiled at me and said, "Sing it loud man. Sing it loud." I did, and it was the song that launched Tim's amazing career.

To his surprise but not to mine, Tim McGraw has become one of Nashville's biggest success stories. When he married Faith Hill they became country music royalty. They both deserve everything they have worked so hard for, because like Elvis, they have been given back to their communities in big ways.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans they were one of the first celebrities to step up with millions to help all those families who lost everything. They both continue to do so much for the people in Middle Tennessee including those families who lost everything in the recent Nashville flood.

One of my favorite memories of him was when I caught one of his foul balls at the Celebrity of Hope Softball Tournament. It was extra special coming from him knowing that his father was the famous Tug McGraw who played for the Mets and Phillies. I too had aspirations of being a big league player for the Detroit Tigers.

I believe God knew the good this modest Indian outlaw would do for his tribe and the world's one day. That is why He sent him our way. I'm glad he sent him mine.

Your Nashville Elvis,

Chuck Baril
http://www.nashvilleelvis.com/
http://www.nashvillebookingagency.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment