Friday, July 30, 2010

The Night I Met Taylor Swift

It was right out of a Tim McGraw song:

When I saw her for the first time
She was standing there in the ticket line
And it all started right then and there
Oh, a sailer’s sky made a perfect sunset
And that’s the day I’ll never forget...

But this time it was me The Nashville Elvis, and the girl wasn't in a mini-skirt, but she was in a ticket line at the Green Hills Theater in Nashville. She may have had red lipstick, but I didn't notice. But I did notice she must have been 6" tall!

The theater had hired me to perform July 29, 2010 at the one-night-only "Elvis on Tour" movie. Hundreds of Elvis fans came out that night to see the movie.  Lots of ladies in their Elvis shirts and holding their Elvis purses took pictures with me before the show.

I would sing a few songs and poise for photos, and Buffie my wife was there because it was her birthday. What a great wife I have who was willing to share her birthday on a work night for me. As she was busy handing out flyers about me, I noticed she suddenly started making strange eye movements. I couldn't understand what she was trying to tell me.

Finally after the last verse of "Don't Be Cruel", she walked toward me and whispered, "Taylor Swift is here! Sing Suspicious Minds!!!"

I looked toward the popcorn line and sure enough, it was CMA's reinging Entertainer of the Year - Miss Taylor along with her parents. I thought she must be here to see the Elvis movie. And strangely no one recognized her or didn't make a fuss about her. She was obviously trying to keep a low profile.

So I cranked up one of my best songs, and when I got to, "and we can't build our dreams together on suspicious minds," she began coming toward me.

Then everything became a blur. My heart was beating uncontrollably as she approached me. Our eyes met, and she smiled that big smile. So did her mom. Then she reached out her hand and shook mine. So did her mom. And I kept on singing and smiling not missing a beat. Never did I say her name because I didn't want to start a stampede of fans toward her. Now I wouldn't have minded a stampede of fans coming at me. But that's another story!

I found out later my wife had asked her mom if she could take a picture of us. Her mom asked her dad and he said "no". Being a father myself, I so understood. So sorry to say, I don't have the evidence to prove my Taylor meeting. You'll just have to trust me. Taylor and her family went on to get their tickets.

A little later we went on to watch the movie too. All the while, I kept asking myself what Taylor must be thinking about watching Elvis and his career unfold. I even cautiously looked about the theater for her, but didn't see her. I thought she must be hiding in the back.

Well she wasn't hiding, come to find out she wasn't even at the Elvis movie. She had come to watch Ramona and Beezus - a new movie featuring one of her songs.

Oh well. I still got to meet her. And what a sweet girl she was. Very humble like Elvis.

Hope we can sing together some day. I have a great part for you in my Elvis movie - Priscilla.

Love you Taylor and so do my boys. We even share the same lucky number - "13"!

Chuck Baril
http://www.nashvilleelvis.com/
http://www.nashvillebookingagency.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment