Saturday, February 13, 2010

She's a Little Bit Country & I'm a Little Bit Rock-n-Roll

My big first crush after my 5th grade teacher was when I was 15 years old. Her family name was synonymous with all that was good to me. Her stage name was Marie Osmond. I say stage because her full name was Olive Marie Osmond named after her incredible mother.

Growing up just outside Detroit in Warren, Michigan I remember spending my Friday nights with Marie. That is I watched Marie religiously along with her brother Donny on the "Donny & Marie" show.


I was attracted to her sweet spirit and her sense of humor. And she met all my physical characteristics of beauty - brown hair and brown eyes. Plus she could sing! She was truly America's sweetheart at that time.

I'd spend hours in front of my bedroom mirror with a hairbrush singing "Puppy Love" or "Go Away Little Girl" as I dreamt of being Donny Osmond. Actually, I grew so in love with Marie that I wanted to marry her. So I couldn't exactly be her brother when you think about it.

As the years went by, my love for Marie continued. After I graduated from high school and went on to Michigan Christian College, I felt I strong desire to let Marie in on my plans.
In my young mind, I thought if I only could get to Utah and profess my love for her, she would want to marry me. So that is what I did, I packed up everything and moved to Provo, Utah.

I didn't know a soul, but I felt I knew everything about the Osmonds. They were the family I always dreamed of having. At that time in my life, my own family was having a lot of struggles and that beautiful family became a light of hope for me.

Within 24 hours of moving there, I was on Mr. & Mrs. Osmond's doorstep tyring to meet Marie. Looking back, I can't believe there wasn't a security gate to keep out stalkers like me. I got to meet Mr. Osmond - a lovely man and very personable. But Marie was not home at the time.

I developed a cordial relationship with Mr. Osmond and Jay, Marie's older brother after a couple visits with them. Then on October 13th, I had the idea to take Marie a birthday present. I bought a heart shaped necklace with her initials and a cake that said, "Happy Birthday Marie & George". It was also her father's birthday that day.

As I took my gifts to Marie's doorstep, I was anxious I might finally get to meet her. But as luck would have it Marie was in Los Angeles taping her own variety show (without Donny). I gave the cake and necklace to her father, and he said he would be speaking to her that evening and would wish her a happy birthday from me. What a sweet man he was. I don't believe if the roles were reversed today, I would be so hospitable with any of my daughter's suitors.

Then three weeks later, I felt led to stop by one more time to see if I could meet Marie. As I drove in front of the house, I saw a woman getting out of the car and entering the side door. I saw the profile and it was most certainly Marie! I couldn't believe it. My heart was racing faster than Tony Stewart at Talladega.

Once again I went to the front door, and her father answered. In my boldness, I asked if I could speak to Marie. By then Mr. Osmond must have trusted me. He turned about and said, "Marie, can you come outside and speak with Chuck?" At this point, I was glad I was a long distance runner, otherwise I'm sure I would have had a heart attack.

In her sweet, demure way Marie came out. I could hear in my mind "Monring Side of the Mountain" playing. I introduced myself and said I was the guy who gave her the necklace. As she thought about it for a moment, she finally remembered the gift and smiled. She held out her hand to shake mine and said, "thank you".

Then with all the mojo I could muster, I told her I would like to take her out on a date. She was very polite and said, "Thank you for asking me, but right now I am just dating a couple guys and not dating around."

Three months later Marie publicly announced her engagement to Stephen Craig - her soon to be first husband.

Was I heart broken? Yes, to say the least. I loved Marie with all my being. In my youthfulness, I felt I would make her a good husband even though I didn't have a lot to offer at the time but my heart.

But have you ever heard of a little song titled, "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers"? That is my anthem today. The Lord sent me the wife I was supposed to be with. And after 22 years of marriage, I am absolutely certain he knew what he was doing. I got my own raven haired beauty and so much more.  And it's not "Puppy Love" I can tell you that.

Even as a young man in my early 20's, I found my inner Elvis because I had the confidence to follow my dreams. I have no regrets. I still care a lot about Marie and wish her God's richest blessings. She's an incredible woman.

The irony of it all is that Mrs. Osmond became a second mother to Elvis after his mother died. She looked similar to his own mom, and she gave him lots of motherly advice through the years. Marie who has become a famous doll maker has even made an Elvis doll!

Thank you Marie for giving me hope during a time in my life when I needed it the most.

Your Nashville Elvis,

Chuck Baril
http://www.nashvilleelvis.com/
http://www.nashvillebookingagency.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment