Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Hunka, Hunka Burnin' Love

I have been honored to perform at many weddings over the years. But the wedding I performed at last Saturday had to have been the most unusual and heart stopping.

You see, the groom Gareth was the England. He met his Tennessee bride Meghan in New Zealand. They had a whirlwind romance and he decided to pick up everything and move to Connecticut where she was working to be near her.

Gareth contacted me over a year ago with exactly how he wanted my part to play out. He had all the details which made it easy for me. But his first request of me was a little odd. He asked that after they were pronounced husband and wife and were coming down the ailse that I sing "Burnin' Love".

First of all, I don't do that song in my show for obvious reasons. Married men usually don't proclaim to swooning women, "I'm a hunka, hunka burnin' love." But since this was a special request, and because really I was singing on behalf of Gareth, I made an exception.

They were married in the most beautiful little place called The Lilly Barn in Townsend, TN. It was about a 3-1/2 hour drive from Nashville. I asked my wife to come with me since she rarely comes to my shows any more because of our children.

Since I had a really busy week, I hadn't had time to really learn the song. So I spend the entire drive singing the song over and over again on the way. I knew I was making my wife nervous because she is a perfectionist. To quote from First Lady Michelle Obama before her husband was to give a speech at the Democratic National Convention before he was elected president - "Don't screw it up!" That is what Buffie was thinking I know eventhough she wasn't saying it verbally.

Finding the place wasn't the easiest either since we mistakingly used the directions from Mapquest and not the Lilly Barn webiste. We finally found it after getting lost twice, so we were tight on time and had to rush to get all my sound equipment set up. We finally talked to the wedding coordinator and ironed out the last minute details. I was to come around to the back of audience during the outdoor ceremony just as a particular lady sat down. It would be about 30 minutes from when the bride initially goes down the aisle.

Well I thought I had just enough time to change and hide before the big moment. Buffie sat on the back row and had a few minutes to breath and enjoy the ceremony after the rush drive there, learning new lyrics and getting lost.

Just as I was coming down the hill from the dressing room with my wireless mic in hand, I saw Buffie running toward me. She anxiously said, "Where have you been, it's time for your part!"

I guess the ceremony was running fast and Buffie kept looking back for me to be standing on the little bridge that lead to the lilly field where the ceremony was held. After several minutes of still not seeing me, she excused herself and didn't see me on the bridge, nor did she see me in my truck, but finally saw me coming down the hill.

All the while she was thinking, this is why you were hired - to sing this song, at this moment and if you don't show up, you are going to ruin the whole wedding! Well we booth hoofed it over the little bridge, and just that moment I saw them kiss and turn around. The sound guy Tim got up and started playing my song.

I said to myself, "You're on baby." I walked as fast as I could toward the crowd, and began, "Lord Almighty, I feel my temperature rising.." And boy did I.

Everyone turned around and was totally surprised. The bridge and groom beamed down the aisle along with the wedding party unaware of the madness that had just occured. The guests just stood and smiled as they enjoyed the humor of the song as it was intended. When I got to the end, I sang, "Gareth's a hunka, hunka burnin' love!" Everyone laughed.

After the ceremony everyone went up to the beautifully decorted reception pavilion. It was nestled in the woods and so elegant. The menu was vegan by the amazing Knoxville Catering so my vegetarian wife was in heaven. The pressure was off, so I could enjoy the Elvis show they requested during dinner. Then I got to DJ the event with their pre-selected play lists.

One of the most special moments for my wife was seeing all the young people dance - half of them British - to the great Beatle's song "Day Tripper".

I didn't say it was easy being Elvis, but it sure is never dull. :)  May God bless you Gareth and Meghan.

Check out their beautiful wedding blog here!

Your Nashville Elvis

Chuck Baril
http://www.nashvilleelvis.com/
http://www.nashvillebookingagency.com/

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great when Elvis performs at a wedding! It is so fun for all of the guests and is a unique surprise! I recently attended a wedding where they had two Elvis impersonators and all generations were able to enjoy their time. Everyone was out of their seats and moving their feet to Elvis' classics! I also attend a Tribute to Elvis night at a coffee shop called Mountain Mudd Espresso in Maple Grove, MN. I think impersonators are great and the real Elvis would love to watch everyone trying to be him. I say "trying" because there is only one king of rock 'n' roll!

    ReplyDelete